Re: What is understanding?

A=Understanding is an ability of a human being to generate
syllogistic derivations from already accepted statements.
B=That definition of understanding is true only in mathematics.

Physics is not mathematics. Therefore, we should not be
focusing so much on syllogisms in this thread. That is my
personal opinion; correct me if you think that I am wrong.

Should we accept the idea that understanding means different
things in different disciplines? Or should we seek a general
definition (not necessarily formal) of that concept?

In my mind formal logic is a set of rules for doing mathematics.
That is why we use it elsewhere when mathematical reasoning
is appropriate. It is part of everything but it is not everything.

Uri Ganiel wrote:
....: given "If not A then not B" does not lead to: "if A then B",
since "not B" does not promise anything about A...

Ludwik Kowalski