Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

Lee Lerner, saying "I hope this gives you a good start", wrote:

... The Earth's magnetic field is generated as the outer liquid
core with charged ions (i.e., electrical current) moves around
solid inner core. ...

I have no trouble of accepting the idea that B is generated by
some kind of a current. But the nature of this current, and what
causes it, present conceptual problems. It is a "mystery" to me.

Yes, ions in the hot liquid core must be present due to high
temperature (and who knows what else). But macroscopically
the highly compressed "lava kind" stuff must have as many
+ as - ions. Thus, unless they move in the opposite direction,
the net current resulting from a circulation of liquid matter
around the solid core should be zero.
Ludwik Kowalski
My geophysics might be a bit rusty but I believe that
seismographic S waves reflect a pattern consistent with an
Earth core composed of a liquid outer core surrounding a
solid inner core. The core is believed to be comprised
mostly of Fe and Ni. The Earth's magnetic field is
generated as the outer liquid core with charged ions (i.e.,
electrical current) moves around solid inner core.

There have been scholarly observations of the earth's
magnetic field for almost 500 years. Sir William Gilbert
published the first treatise on the earth's magnetic field
( De magnete). Gilbert showed that the reason compass
needles point toward the earth's north pole is because the
earth itself appears to behave as a large magnet. Gilbert
argued that the earth's magnetic field is roughly equivalent
to that which would be generated by a bar magnet located
at the center of the earth and oriented along the earth's
rotation axis.

Later in the mid-nineteenth century, Karl Frederick Gauss
confirmed Gilbert's observations and also showed that the
magnetic field observed on the surface of the earth could
not be caused by magnetic sources external to the earth, but