Re: Brass instruments

At 15:02 7/8/99 -0700, Mel Bartels wrote:
I have taught that the trumpet bell acts to reflect 90% of the
standing wave energy back into the
trumpet, the remaining 10% of the energy goes into the
tone projected into the room. This
reflection point can be modified by the hand as french horn players do
resulting in a pitch change
and also a slight tonal change. ...

Mel Bartels

I wonder what support Mel has for this magnitude of discontinuity
at the bell mouth?
It is a provocative thought. Recall the acoustic record players
- the 'gramophones'- with their big exponential horns.
One supposes their acoustic impedance transformation ratio must
have been much larger than that of a brass instrument.
They needed to couple as much of the sound as possible to free air.

While it's fairly easy to recall a value for electrical impedance
of free space - I wonder what the acoustic impedance for free air is?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK