Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

James McLean wrote:

Leigh Palmer wrote:
It always bothers me when the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is
cited as an example of resonance. The wind was steady, more or
less, and there was no significant component at the bridge's
resonant frequency.

Huh? Isn't this precisely the reason that it *is* an example of
resonance? Because of a high Q, the extremely small driving force at
the resonant frequency was able to drive a large amplitude oscillation.

No, I don't believe that is relevant. <deletia>
No, the mechanism must have its own
positive feedback mechanism to keep the force in the proper phase.

The deletia here obscure the fact that the second "No" in this quote
follows and answers a rhetorical question, not the question you asked.

While your detailed explanation of the periodic wind turbulence is
certainly more than I had considered, I think the crucial difference
between our viewpoints is in the choice of system. I was considering
only the oscillating object (the bridge) and the force applied to the
object (by the wind). The complex turbulence mechanism by which the
steady wind produces an oscillating force is outside of my system.
Within that system, I think resonance is really what is going on.

You are certainly free to think that, but in my opinion it is an *ad
hoc* construction. You really know what resonance is, and you wish to
store this particular phenomenon into your bag of phenomena labelled
in that way. I argue that it is not useful to do so, and I adduced
your undergraduate physics experience as an example of the improper
conception which might be conveyed.

When there is significant positive feedback from the oscillator to the
forcing agent, this choice of system is a pretty poor way to look at
things. Certainly this is the case in most musical instruments: the
trumpet feeds back to the player's lips, the opening and closing of a
reed feeds back to the wind forcing it, and the violin string motion
feeds back to the stick-slip of the bow. In these cases, one is forced
to consider the larger, more complicated system.

I do not wish to consider the bowing of a violin as a resonance
phenomenon, but it decidedly fits in the same category as the TNB
oscillation.

But is there a big feedback in the case of the TN Bridge? My vague
recollection is that the turbulent vortices leave the object pretty
regularly, even if the object is immobile. Does the frequency (and
phase coherence) of the vortex departure really depend on the motion of
the bridge? What about in the case of an organ pipe or recorder (the
wind instrument) fipple?

I don't think the Q of the bridge was much greater than ten*. The
vortex shedding was in sync with the motion of the bridge, but over
an appreciable range of wind velocities. The feedback was perfect;
the moving bridge formed its own vortices, not the von Karmann type
seen with a stationary obstacle. The vortices shed by the fipple
are examples of the latter type, but they are synced with pressure
oscillations in the tube (strong feedback). Still, only a limited
range of airflow velocities will excite a given note.

Leigh

*You're going to want to know what my definition of Q is. I'm not
putting in the factor of 2 pi. Q here means that the energy of
the oscillation would diminish by 1/Q per cycle, not per radian.
Ten is just a hazily remembered number anyway. In this case it
corresponds to a 5% decrease in amplitude on successive
oscillations.