Re: harmonics, anharmonic ...

Hi Ludwik-
We don't have to work at the atomic level, to exhibit
the principle of non-linear response functions for intense radiation.
Just realize that at high intensities the transmitted (and, hence,
reflected) waves in a medium are proportional not just to E, the
electric intensity, but also to E^2, etc. But if E carries a single
frequency, then E^2 carries the doubled frequency, etc.
But what do we mean by the "nonlinearity" when we refer to
atoms doubling a laser frequency ? What versus what is nonlinear?
Is the term nonlinearity appropriate in this case?

Ludwik Kowalski
************************
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography