Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

Sam Held writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Held [mailto:Held@RHIP.PHYS.UTK.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 1:22 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Midterm Question - Sort of

The problem with the Tacoma Narrows was that it was
a suspension bridge and your example is sorta of what I was trying to
explain. I neglected the fluid dynamics though. NB: this incident lead
to mandatory wind tunnel testing of models of all new bridges. All over
the loss of one dog.

Gee, Sam - I thought we lost the bridge, too!

"Colleges and universities are places where those
fundamental activities -- taking care of the offspring,
revering the ancestors -- come together in a single effort.."
- Robert Pinsky, US Poet Laureate
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/