Re: curvature of buckets of water

At 14:08 7/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
... suppose one is trapped inside a box on a foreign
planet. Is there an experiment that person can do to determine whether
they are located coincident with the axis of rotation (i.e., north or
south pole) rather than at some other latitude?

| Robert Cohen

While savoring Bob's bucket, I too pondered the slight concavity one
would expect to counter the convex surface provided by the gravity vector
at the spin pole.
But a rotation rate of 1/day is slow.
Remind me, what are the parameters of a parabola of equipotential
at 1/day?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK