Re: Momentum

Hi Robert Cohen-
Thanks for going back to basics when you remind us:
In the Cover Story of the Wed 30 June 99 USA Today, Edward Moeller, a
traffic engineer is quoted, "If you are driving 35 and hit someone coming
at you at 35, it's the equivilent of hitting a tree at 70."

Any hope of correcting this WRONG PHYSICS?
*******************
***********
The author of the piece declines to favor us with his opinion
as to what constitutes the purported wrong physics, and I decline to
guess. Edward doesn't tell us in what sense he is using "equivalence",
and each respondent has made his own guess.

Jim"s frustration, I would guess, is that nobody has addressed
a carefully defined problem, and the quotation does not give us one.
Arguing about ill-defined problems can lead to misundeerstandings, snide
remarks, and long orations of dubious relevance.
I'll forego the rest of my long oration until the author of the
piece enlightens us as to what he consideers to be the dubious physics.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography