Momentum

This thread is getting a little ummm amusing I guess:

First we are presented with the question of the difference between an
idealized head-on collision between two identical, but soft, cars and a
collision between one of those cars and a brick wall

This should be a discussion about energy not momentum AND the Earth should
be included in most of the calculations -- certainly if conservation of
energy is in one's mind.

Then the masses are different then the velocities get complicated then the
cars bounce, hit a tree, or a ditch -- the collision becomes elastic but
the Earth is still ignored. This is still an energy problem, but without
any hope of conservation.

The question has become a moving target! One poster is trying to comment
on one set of propositions -- while another is changing the
propositions. This is a silly way to conduct a class.

NEXT we have people bouncing about and their gizzards under attack -- Where
momentum DOES matter, but people want it to flow about like the wind. This
is getting out of hand.

Somebody state a problem and let's stick with it!

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen