Re: momentum

Leigh

Whoa! Did you really mean to say that the energy in Herb's example is
NOT conserved? The system's kinetic energy is obviously not conserved,
but I sure hope its energy is. Can we not agree that the word "energy"
without modifying adjective refers to total system energy?

poj
Collin County College

Leigh Palmer wrote:

The nearest equivalence I can think of is a head on collision
between two cars moving at 35 and a head on collision between
two cars, one of which is moving at 70 and the other at rest
*with brakes off*. You may supply whatever velocity units you
like above.

Herb's comment that energy is conserved is either trivial and
potentially confusing, or else it is wrong. Such statements
can only distract students from a correct line of reasoning,
and they already have enough distractions from their raging
hormones so that we need not provide gratuitous distractions.

Leigh