Re: "Faraday's Disk" which started it all

Hi Bill Beatty-
1) In F = qVxB, V is the velocity of the particle whose charge is q; B is
the magnetic field (of some source) measured at the location of q; F is the
force which q experiences due to its interaction with the field B. All of
these four quantities are measured by an observer in a given inertial frame.
In particular, V is simply the velocity of the charged particle in this
frame. (Note that the kinematical status of the source of B is not
explicitly relevant - the local [at q] value of its field B says everything
about its magnetic force on q - this is the essential usefulness of a field
theory - indeed B may be the net field of numerous sources.)

I understand. The concept of "field" requires inertial frames.
*****************
Nonsense. A "field" is a force divided by a charge. Charge
is a relativistic invariant, so a "field" transforms like a force.

Is the following statement true? : The concepts within Special Relativity
and EM fields cannot be applied to the case of a test-charge suspended
near a rotating permanent magnet in the shape of a disk.

If SR cannot make predictions about the e-field surrounding a rotating
disk-magnet, then...
*****************************
The statement is false. Special relativity has no problems with
any ordinary observable phenomena. GR only comes into play when gravitation
enters the picture.
If you find a problem with special relativity, the problem should
be your understanding of SR, not SR. I give this to you as a general rule.

1. Is there ANY way to predict how a single test-charge will behave near
a rotating disk-magnet?
***********************************
Yes.
2. Experimentally, how do charged particles actually behave near
a rotating disk-magnet?
**************************
Do the experiment and find out, or do a literature search and see if
the question hasn't already been answered.

*

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography