Re: physics of sound texts

JACK L. URETSKY wrote:
2. You ask:
Does anyone have favorite textbooks for the physics of sound at the
non-majors/university freshman level?
**************************
Your question is too vague. Why don't you give us a brief outline
of what you would like to teach in a Physics-of-Sound Course.

Well, I have to admit that I have not had time to think this through in
great detail (* see comment below). In the present case the course has
been taught before, so I do have that to direct me. But, in broad view, I
see the point of the course to be "expose the students to the methods and
thought patterns of physics; the exact material covered is secondary." It
is also my impression, after speaking with a few people who have taught
such courses, that there is not an overabundance of books on the subject
directed at this level of student. So it seemed that maybe it would be
appropriate to let the textbook guide the syllabus, rather than vice versa.

That said, let me give some parameters anyhow.
Assume high-school algebra.
Cover:
basic physics topics (graphing, units, etc.) as they arise; pressure and
vacuum; parameters of simple harmonic waves, first on a string and then
pressure waves; mathematical description of traveling waves; reflection,
refraction, and diffraction; interference and beats; Doppler effect;
standing waves; simple resonance and overtones; intensity and dB; Fourier
decomposition (probably qualitatively); Ohm's law (to provide some
understanding of the oscilloscopes which can hardly be avoided in lab).
Probably don't cover:
damping; non-linearities more than superficially; inductance.
Flesh it out with (some subset):
complex wave analysis (e.g. musical instruments); the human voice; the
human ear; electronic music reproduction; electronic music synthesis;
resonance in non-cylindrical chambers; auditorium design; sound in solids;
earthquake detection; etc.

Does that help?
*comment:
It sure would be nice if schools could afford to hire new faculty at the
_beginning_ of the summer. That way, the least experienced teachers (who
also have _no_ experience with the facilities available and only limited
access to the accumulated history/wisdom of their new department) would at
least have as much time to prepare as everyone else. Yet another situation
where common sense takes a back seat to economics.

--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu
post doc, UC San Diego, Chemistry
moving this fall to SUNY Geneseo