photoelectric effect

I need, once again, to access the distributed human computing power of this
list.
A student of mine, while I was explaining the basics of the photoelectric
effect, asked me if that process effected the way a metal would reflect
light.
Now, I had never been asked that before so I guessed it would and explained
that the PE effect would pull down the reflected intensity of light above
the threahold frequency for the metal involved. And then I started
thinking. By how much?
So the question is, what determines the relative magnitude of the
reflection of photons vs those absorbed through the PE effect?
My kind regards to all those who respond to this question.

This email comes to you from Kangaroo Island in South Australia. It is an
isalnd with kangaroos.