Re: simple magnets question

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I, too, had tried this model. It is called an "Amperean current model".
I can't analyze it using special relativity because when I go to an
inertial frame moving (instantaneously) with the charged particle, I
find that my source is a wheel rolling past me*.

I've only encountered peripheral traces of this whole controversy, and
haven't tracked down much literature. Although it lacks any answer, one
paper is:

"Spinning Magnetic Fields" Jovan Djuric', J. Applied Phys., V46 N2,
Feb 1975 pp 679-688 (And "Comment..." in the V48 N9 issue)

A quote from the paper:

[the radial e-field] is not the Coulomb-type field, except in the
equatorial plane. Another puzzling or interesting feature of the
electric field given by (8) is that its divergence is NOT equal to zero
anywhere in space, which Sommerfeld refers to as "an interesting
mathematical difficulty".

:)

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com