Re: Howard Voss' Testimony

hERBERT H GOTTLIEB wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:02:24 -0700 "Daniel L. MacIsaac"
<Dan.MacIsaac@NAU.EDU> writes:
I teach MS and HS science teachers as part of my job. Recruiting is
a tremendous problem due to salaries. Some teachers here in AZ will
start at $20k/yr, after 4-5 yrs of college. Many admire their own
teachers and
would like to emulate them, but can't afford to pay the loans and bills
and
eat on the salary. A HS Chemistry teacher can start at 2X the $$
working
for industry here in AZ. Raytheon Missles sends buses up here to grab
all of our physics grads (they have the cruise missle contract)
starting at $40k, which is higher than I started here at NAU.

But does Raytheon also offer sick days, health insurance, sabbaticals,
paid pensions, lots of paid holidays including 10 days off at Xmas and
another 10
days at Easter? ....and what happens when Raytheon loses a big contract
and may not get another one for several weeks or months?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the grass always seems greener elsewhere)

I don't know about Raytheon but friends I know get 6 weeks of paid
vacation, company sponsored continuing education and additional paid
holidays, 10 or more sick days, health & dental insurance and a 401k
matching to 6% of the salary. As a teacher I don't have any paid holidays,
I have to pay for my own continuing education that averages 4 weeks out of
my 8 weeks of "vacation" each year (and only 6 days at "Xmas" and 2 days at
Easter - none of which I get paid for), my salary is less than half of that
of another who sat next to me in class for 4 years (I went to college one
more so that I could get a teaching license) and my 403b is a maximum of a
$500 match. I take all of this willingly because I love to teach. The
recent problem that I'm having is that the new "high standards" adopted by
the state turn most of my teaching time into a paperwork blizzard.

Arlyn DeBruyckere