Re: Howard Voss' Testimony

At 12:37 6/22/99 -0400, Warren Hein wrote:
The text of Howard Voss' testimony regarding recruitment of science and
mathematics teachers for service in grade levels K-12 is available on the
web at http://www.aapt.org/voss.html. Dr. Voss gave his testimony before
the House Committee on Education and the Work Force on June 10, 1999.

Dr. Voss is a past president of AAPT and is currently chair of the
Department of Physics and Astronomy at Arizona State University.

My attention was caught by this comment from Dr. Voss:

"...Then there are the inevitable retirements in a teaching
work force in which about one-fourth are fifty or more years old.
(A danger signal: the average age of teachers in this country is
rising at a rate greater than one year per year.)
It is estimated that we will need to find about two million new
K-12 teachers by the year 2007..."

If more teachers enter the profession than retire, the average
age declines, and vice versa.
If however, the average age is rising more than one year per year,
would anyone care to suggest how this could happen?
(Starting from no entry level teachers, normal retirement levels...)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK