Re: stainless conductivities

Tim Sullivan asked what we are trying to say about stainless steel in
this thread. Particularly he asks if we are trying to say stainless
steel is anomalous.

I don't think anyone is trying to get that deep. The original question
simply asked why stainless steel is a thermal insulator, yet it is an
electrical conductor.

The point I was trying to make (and also Sam Sampere made the same
point) is that I do not view stainless steel as described (in the
original question). That is, I do not view it as a good electrical
conductor and poor thermal conductor; rather, I view it poor on both
counts.

I have done a lot of instrument design and construction involving the
need for electrical conduction/insulation as well as thermal
conduction/insulation. For example, I have built nuclear detectors
using liquid argon as the ionization-chamber medium. Even though I
would have liked to have used stainless steel electrical connections
(because of its low thermal conductivity) I never considered doing so
because of its low electrical conductivity. I did use lots of
stainless steel in the construction of the detectors, both for thermal
insulation and also corrosion resistance. But all my wiring was
copper. I do not think I was unique in my viewpoint and my
construction techniques. Engineers and scientists around me were doing
the same thing (at National Superconducting Cyclotron Lab, Michigan
State University and at Los Alamos National Laboratory).

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817