Re: coffee mug oscillatory modes

me. Place an empty cylindrical coffee mug on a tabletop with its handle
pointing north. Using a spoon handle or other hard metal object tap the

What color cup works best for this?

Actually, I see a nice exercise in critical analysis here. Do the
demonstration for a class and ask for explanations. See how many
students think to check whether it matters which direction the handle is
pointing.

For the record, the most musical cup I could find gave pretty close to
one semitone difference to my ear and the results were identical when
referenced to the handle regardless of the orientation of the cup
itself.

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/