Laser Pointer Intensity

Herb Gottlieb from New York City notes...

(...the intense red beam from a HeNe laser has less
effect on our photometers than the beam of an ordinary flashlight))

I seem to remember working a little calculation that showed a
laser pointer could provide comparable energy intensity
(energy density if you will, or energy per unit cross-section)
to that of the Sun.
But when I control the cross section with a duct tape cover
and pinhole in front of an exposure meter, then make allowance
for the lower actinic effect of red light than the white plus
u/v from the Sun, I STILL find that Herb cannot be readily
contradicted.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK