Re: The Capacitor problem - once more

Basically what we are doing here is starting in one state with a
particular energy in the system (the two separated capacitors) and
moving to a second state with lower energy in the system (the two
joined capacitors). Often in this type of situation there is more than
one way to get from state-1 to state-2. Appropriate selection of
capacitor size and wire resistance might push the predominant
energy-loss mechanism toward E&M waves. But selecting larger wire
resistance and larger capacitance can push the predominant energy-loss
mechanism toward thermal energy. Jack has described yet another
interesting pathway in which a third party removes the energy
difference between state-1 and state-2.

<snip>

In the original capacitor description we simply close a switch.

Let's push the problem to another extreme and assume that the
interconnections are made with SUPERCONDUCTORS!!!!!!

(How is the 'spring-pendulum' model going to address the energy
dissipation that occurs? I'm sure it's possible, just not clear to me
yet.)

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936