Re: Breaking Glass with Sound

I would also like to say that beakers are all that I use. They work
well for me.

Thanks,
Peter Schoch

Ron Ebert wrote:

At 05:53 AM 6/2/99 -0400, Prof. John P. Ertel wrote:

But here is what I can say with certainty:

1. Don't try a beaker! While they are generally of a cylindrical nature
which makes the calculation of their Helmholtz resonance modes quite easy,
BUT they have this horrible anisotropy in the lip for pouring --- also,
the lip curves somewhat outward. If that wasn't enough, they are made of
Pyrex --- a material that has a great deal of resistance to fracture (and
therefore, a great deal of internal loss).

Pyrex beakers are all we ever use, and we have a 100% success rate with
them. In case you missed it the first time around, our demo write-up is at
http://phyld.ucr.edu/Sound%20&%20Wave%20Motion%201/S-118G.htm.

If you are ever in southern California, come by and I'll breaker however
many beakers you like in our sound chamber (well, as many as I have in hand
in stock :))

Ron Ebert
UCR Physics Department
ron.ebert@ucr.edu