Re: Breaking glass with sound Problem with URL

At 12:40 PM 5/26/99 -0500, Norman Lohstreter wrote:

Vern Lindberg wrote:

I tried the URL on two successive days and Netscape says "Unable to locate
server phyld.ucr.edu. Is there a mistake somewhere?

I had the same problem. Then I added an 'l' to the final extension.

http://phyld.ucr.edu/Sound%20&%20Wave%20Motion%201/S-118G.html

I guess some networks/browsers need that clarification. I run all the web
pages I make through the WWW Consortium HTML Validation Service
(http://validator.w3.org/). If there is something wrong with a URL, it
tells me it couldn't access the page. I just re-checked this page with it,
and it accepted it okay with the "htm". And it seems that Bob Muir, for
one, had no trouble accessing the page with the htm.

I've got a somewhat similar problem I have to track down. On my "records"
PC, the NASA web page that shows the latest Mars Global Orbiter pictures
(http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/msss/camera/images/index.html) doesn't come
up with hot hyperlinks on most of the icon images on that web page, and
that's trying it using the latest versions of Internet Explorer and
Netscape. Yet the links do display and work correctly on our demo-lecture
Mac Power PC. I guess I'll try bringing the page up in its html code mode
and see what's different between the two links that work and the rest that
don't.

Ron Ebert
UCR Physics Department
ron.ebert@ucr.edu