Re: Breaking glass with sound

At 08:23 AM 5/25/99 -0400, Bob Muir wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Ron Ebert wrote:
We use an oscillator, amplifier and speaker driver. No pre-demo "cheating"
is necesssary. Our success rate is 100%. See
http://phyld.ucr.edu/Sound%20&%20Wave%20Motion%201/S-118G.htm for details.

Ron Ebert

Ron,
Thanks for the url. Will you give us a description of the chamber and the
purpose of the copper pipe including dimensions of the speaker and pipe
(I'm assuming the pipe is a conduit for the sound from the speaker)?

The chamber is a wood box lined with acoustic tile. There is a Plexiglas
sheet in the front that slides up and down a slitted fitting. The amplifier
we use is a Bogen MT-250C. It supplies up to 250 watts of power to an 8 ohm
speaker. The driver is an Applied Electro Mechanics Inc. AEM SA-222 and is
rated for that power. It's five inches diameter. The copper pipe does act
as a sonic wave guide. The copper pipe is 1-1/2 inch diameter. This matches
the driver's output cone.

The sound chamber is not absolutely necessary but it is very helpful as it
insulates the rest of the room from the high sound level and concentrates
the power on the beaker.

Ron Ebert
UCR Physics Department
ron.ebert@ucr.edu