Re: Breaking glass with sound

At 10:35 AM 5/24/99 -0400, Gary Hemminger wrote:
I had some students try this a few years ago. They measured the resonant
frequency of the glass and then subjected it to a loud sound at that
frequency. The video showed it shattering. Only later I learned that after
many tries they gave up and shot the glass with a BB gun. It still looked
good.

According to my accoustics professor, Cyril Harris, (the designer
of the renovated Avery Fischer hall at Lincoln Center), the trick is
to make a small nick in the lip of the glass, and to use fine
crystal.

We use an oscillator, amplifier and speaker driver. No pre-demo "cheating"
is necesssary. Our success rate is 100%. See
http://phyld.ucr.edu/Sound%20&%20Wave%20Motion%201/S-118G.htm for details.

Ron Ebert
UCR Physics Department
ron.ebert@ucr.edu