Re: Missing Energy

At 18:03 20/05/99 -0400, Michael Edmiston wrote:

In light of item (2), I do not understand Mark's (and others')
viewpoint that it is interesting that the dissipated energy depends on
the initial and final states rather than the "dissipation factor"
involved. Isn't that the way it always works? The energy difference
between two states is the energy "dissipated" regardless of how (or how
fast) the energy is dissipated. If a ball drops straight down from a
certain height, or rolls down an incline (same height), or falls
through a viscous medium (through same height), or ricochets down a
maze of pegs (from same height), the energy lost is the same in all
cases. If that does not amaze us, the capacitor problem should not
amaze us.

You're right of course - what makes the capacitor problem (or it's
mechanical analog) puzzling is the fact that approaching it from the usual
electrical circuit assumptions we neglect both R and L. For the example of
the falling mass, it's like assuming that it has gravitational mass, so can
change PE, but has negligible inertial mass, so does not gain KE, and
furthermore there's no friction!

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic