Re: Cryogenics Bat

At 16:54 5/12/99 -0700, Bill wrote:
... for a quick check, clamp two similar bits of metal in small vises,
adjust them to give identical tones when plucked, then dip one in LN2.
When the sample has warmed up again, has the resonant frequency changed
as compared to the control?

Hey, I know! See if LN2-dipping can de-tune one of a pair of identical
tuning forks.
William J. Beaty

I'm surprized to find myself so readily assuming the voice of
the snake-oil salesman in response to Bill's elegantly spare test.

I sigh that the fact of life is that stiffness (or elasticity if
you prefer) and mass control the fundamental note for given metal
ribbon.

So for steel, the most miserable strip of tin-can hums in much
the same frequency as a strip of ultra high tensile steel of the
same shape and mass when plucked. (If the lower yield strength limit
is not exceeded)

And so I don't suppose that Young's modulus is appreciably
affected by LN2. So if there is an effect, I suspect it is in
toughness or surface hardness or some such property that
would possibly show up in more delicate measurements
(spectral energy distribution perhaps) of a brass instrument.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK