Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

Here are two words which begin with N and S. They
convey the idea of a directional flow: nuzzle and sink.
A bar magnet has the nuzzle end, labeled N, where the
lines are escaping, and the sink end, labeled S, where
they enter. Just a mnemonic rule to help memory. Do
not compare this to a jet engine; lines have no mass
and there is no acceleration.

Ludwik Kowalski

Jim Green joked:

Mark "north" where the lines of magnetic force exit the
bar magnet, because this is the convention used in physics.
Well this may be a good idea -- and if coupled with the
suggestion that we eliminate "north" and "south" as labels,
we might label the poles a E for "exit" and E for "entrance".