Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

On Tue, 11 May 1999 10:05:42 -0600 Philip Zell <Zell@ACT.ORG> writes:
I think it is a mistake to mark magnets' poles based on their use
in compasses. . Mark "north" where the lines of magnetic force exit
the bar magnet, because this is the convention used in physics.

BUT.... how can we tell if the lines of force are entering or exiting
from
N and S poles of a magnet ??? This reminds me of the old question,
How can you tell whether a kitten is male or female without turning
it over?"
The classic answer is "Give it a warm saucer of milk and watch the
kitten drink it. If HE drinks it, it's a MALE. If SHE drinks it, it's a
FEMALE.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the lines of magnetic force seem to connect the poles of a
a bar magnet but are never seen entering or exiting the poles)