Looking for a book reference

I heard a speaker a number of years ago speaking on the history of
communications technology. He mentioned that initially we do things
crudely at high power (AM radio stations in the early part of this
century) and eventually refine the technic and use lower power
(satellite communications). He mentioned that a lot of his material
is documented in a book; however, I never got the reference to the
book. In particular I am interested in some of the peculiar effects
noticed by people in the vicinity of the high power transmitters.
Could anybody give me the reference to this book alluded to or to an
article which would discuss this issue?

Thanks,

Steven Gollmer
gollmers@cedarville.edu