Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

Larry Smith wrote:

The whole business is easy if you recognize that the magnetic pole of
the Earth which is located in the northern part of the planet is a
*south*-seeking pole. It therefore attracts the opposite poles of
compasses, the north-seeking poles. This way the north poles of
compasses point roughly north and navigators go in the right direction.

I'm confused by your "seeking" suffix. I would agree with your whole
paragraph if you left out the "seeking" everywhere. To me, the end of a
bar magnet or a compass needle (both labeled with the same convention, in
my opinion, contrary to the magnetizer instructions) with an "N" on it
should point to the arctic, geographic North pole (magnetic south pole) of
the earth.

The "seeking" part seems to confuse the issue.

The "seeking" label is an old terminology and perhaps deserved to be
discarded. I think the point was simply to have a way of emphasizing
the distinction between the compass-pole labelling and the
geomagnetic-pole labelling. [Notince that even in that last sentance
where I wanted to avoid the terminology I had to invent a new one --
"compass-pole".]

The convention with respect to the direction of flux, out of
north-seeking poles and into south-seeking poles, also works with the
Earth's poles; *provided that you recognize that the south-seeking pole
is the one in Canada.* In the northern (magnetic) hemisphere, the
Earth's magnetic field point northward and *down*.

Field lines go from N to S _outside_ the magnet, but from S to N inside the
magnet. At least that is the "convention" I've been teaching.

Of course. Sorry I wasn't clear about meaning the lines outside the
dipole.

Cheers,
Larry Smith

--