Re: Where is the original data?

Robert Kern Curtis wrote:

In particular, the book GREAT EXPERIMENTS IN PHYSICS by Morris H. Shamos
and published by Holt in 1960 should be considered. I understand this
is now available in paper-back.
_______________________________

Just happen to have the book in front of me...Dover publishes it with a
price of US $10.95. Particularly good data sets from Cavendish, Boyle,
Joule, Thomson, Millikan and Compton are in the book, but the real value
is in reading the whole work.

For those following the transistor thread, there is another Dover book
"Landmark Experiments in Twentieth Century Physics" (US$8.95) which has a
pretty nifty short history of the transistor. The book also describes the
discoveries and developments of superconductivity, liquid helium, fine
structure in hydrogen, the neutrino, lasers and masers, and more.

Those two books are fun reading both for "serious" physicists and science
buffs.

David Kulp Thinking Different since 1984.
david@nuclear.physics.gatech.edu