Re: Mercury spills

With respect to vacuum cleaners, I have done neither the math nor the
experiment but have been told the following, which qualitatively made sense
to me. The rate of evaporation of mercury is proportional to the exposed
surface area. The result of vacuuming is to convert a few large drops with
small net surface area into many tiny drops with huge net surface area, thus
potentially raising the evaporation rate to a point where normal
ventillation may no longer be adequate.

Stan Dodds wrote:

Using a regular vacuum cleaner is probably a bad idea because it is
unlikely to pick up the dense material effectively and it may disperse
what it does gather. Incidentally, the Illinois story has the marks of
an urban legend. Most homes are so well ventilated that vapor from
modest spills of dirty mercury is not likely to reach hazardous
levels.

David L. Bridges
http://maple.LeMoyne.edu/~BridgeDL/

BridgeDL@maple.LeMoyne.edu Ice wedged fast
dbridge9@idt.net in the crevice of the rock
this morning begins to melt -
Department of Physics under the moss the water
Le Moyne College will be feeling out a channel.
Syracuse, NY 13214 Saigyo 1118 - 1190
(315) 445-4318 (tr. Burton Watson)