Re: Mercury spills

Stuewer David wrote:

How much mercury are we talking about here? If somebody (misguidedly)
vacuumed up the droplets from, say, a broken thermometer, would their
house have to be demolished?

Stan Dodds wrote:
Incidentally, the Illinois story has the marks of
an urban legend. Most homes are so well ventilated that vapor from
modest spills of dirty mercury is not likely to reach hazardous
levels.

As I recall, the incident involved much more than just one thermometer
("gallons" sticks in my mind). A handful of stories ran over a few
weeks in my local newspaper. Don't just take my word for it, though
(after all, this IS the internet) Perhaps, I can relocate more reliable
information.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
St. Charles County Community College