Re: Problem with a Barometer

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Roger Haar wrote:

I have an odd problem with a mercury barometer. It
reads too large of an atomospheric pressure. Here at the U
of AZ the Atmospheric Science Dept has two nearby stations
from which I can get readings. These report something like
27.2 inches ( NOT corrected to sea level) and I get 29.5
inches.

Roger,

Apparently you've successfully created an "ultravacuum." We all know that
the "vacuum ain't nothin'" these days. Most likely you have simply
managed to reduce the level of vacuum fluctuations in the region above
your mercury column a la the Casimir force. I say, publish before the
effect perishes.

John

P.S. For those who don't know me well enough, allow me to add ;-)
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223