Re: Fortin Barometer Repair

Paul Yates wrote:

"Some kind soul took our Fortin barometer off the wall and placed it
horizontal - all the mercury drained out of the tube.
Does anyone have any information on how to fill these devices? ..."

I would be worried about even trying to fix it. Mercury is nowadays
regarded as pretty hazardous stuff in student labs -even if you don't
ingest it, it produces vapour. I think I would be more concerned with
collecting the spilled mercury and getting rid of it.

That raises the question of getting a suitable, modern, non-hazardous
barometer. Perhaps others can help there.

Ian Sefton
Honorary Senior Lecturer
SUPER Group
School of Physics, A28