Re: Virus attack

Melissa was microsoft-linked; it attacked users of Microsoft Word
and Microsoft Outlook Express (email software) through the linking
language called Microsoft Visual Basic. You had to have all three
of these products installed and configured to be hit with Melissa.
Melissa took advantage of several Microsoft "features" few people use
and maybe even fewer want. Microsoft macro virii do the same thing.
Bottom line is be aware -- if you're an office user you are installing
vulnerabilities with every upgrade and you need virus software.

Happy99.exe is also targetted at Microsoft users -- windows users this time.
It's technically a worm, and shows a Happy New Year 1999!! message when
messing with the WINSOK32.DLL files supplied with W95/98. You must
run the .exe file to get the worm. If you download and run software
from the internet (including PHYS-L) then you need antivirus software. If
your school or district provides internet connectivity to you, they should
also have institutionally-licensed antvirus software to provide to you.

Best regards,

Dan M

I've been on the internet for quite a while, longer than many, but
certainly not as long as quite a few others, and have never used a
virus detection program except rarely (and never afflicted by a
virus, which amazes some, and was unaffected by Melissa or Happy99,
despite being a constant internet user during the time).

The word "affected" can have different connotations. I have a friend
who was on vacation while the Melissa virus was a big thing. When he got
back there were 1300 messages in his mailbox! It had gotten into the
system of someone on a discussion list he was a part of, and multiplied
greatly from there (due to private discussions - hence entering each
other into address books I guess). You don't need to have your own
system infected to be "affected".

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/