Re: Virus attack

It would be desirable to place the responsibility for the
"virus testing" on those who control mailing servers,
not on individual subscribers.

"L. R. Cartwright (Larry)" wrote:

... I am writing you all to urge, to plead, to beg each of you to
acquire modern antivirus software; to install it and run it so it
provides protection 24/7; and to keep it up-to-date by using its
online update feature regularly, preferably once a week. This
is not about protecting yourself and your system; this is about

Yes and no. We are trying now to install such SW on PHYS-L and
likely we will be able in the future to reject some subset of virus-laden
postings. Only two remote sites receiving PHYS-L automagically scanned and
rejected this message, and I have people now trying to figure out what
SW they run at those sites so we can get it on PHYS-L.

However, it is unlikely we will be ever able to completely reply on
such SW at the list level. Ultimately, although we will try and screen
out what we can on the list, individual list subscribers MUST take
responsibility for their own computer safety. You will be the ones who
suffer the consequences and have most at stake here.

I do note that PHYSLRNR was hit with a Word macro virus last year. I
expect we'd probably get about a hit a year. I don't decode downloads
from PHYS-L on any machine that is not routinely backed up and has virus
protection. I also prefer the Mac for the reason there are fewer virii
and I get to evade a lot of the problem. The MS macro virii and MS related
products seem most susceptable.

Anyways, I am working on trying to eliminate or reduce this event in
the future. But do get the appropriate anti-virus software for your
own machines. And if you have suggestions for appropriate products for
screening listservs please let me know of them.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner