Re: lightning dangers

I have read few of the previous notes, so this may have been covered, but
the shock you feel from static electricity is not electrical, but thermal
because of the high current density at the point of contact. When you
hold on to a metal object, a pin or a key, the current is distributed
over a large area, the current density is reduced, and you feel nothing.

cheers

I beg to differ. The van de graff can EASILY deliver enough
electrostatic energy in a spark to trigger your nerves ELECTRICALLY.
A chain of students is surely not reacting to a THERMAL effect!!!

The key or needle does indeed spread out the AREA of contact but at
LEAST as important is the 'corona discharge' which spreads the jolt
over TIME instead of area!

alas, we may never know if the Brit's still top their rods with
smooth spheres as they did to spite Ben Franklin.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936