Re: High School Equivalence

We give credit in two fashions. If we have an agreement with the local
high school, they get immediate credit. If not, we (I, really) sit down
with the student and discuss what is needed and how confortable they are
with the material -- especially if they have taken the AP test(s).
Counseling and intervention to make the student aware of the depth of
knowledge required here (TYC) and at the transfer institutions is
crucial.

In some cases we do offer challenge exams, but I discourage it. If I
give a challenge exam, they don't get credit for the class, they just
don't have to take it as part of the degree requirement. This means
they do have to take it at the transfer institution.

By the way, we RESPECT academic freedom. The topics to be covered are
specified, but the content is up to the instructor -- as is the pace.
The labs must be equivalent to the labs we do at the college. If you
want to do more, that's OK too. The tests are ours (the college's) to
insure the scores are comparable with the class being done at the
college. We review each H.S. program on a case by case basis. We
happen to have a great relationshp between the local H.S. physics
teachers and myself (a TYC teacher). If you treat each other equally,
there seems to be very little friction, and much to be gained!

By the way, I NEVER said I know more about teaching Physics than anyone
else -- I just HATE the damn standardized tests!

"Randall E. Sloper" wrote:

I have been following the discussion about AP exams and am curious about
the experiences the group has had with advanced placement. I have been
approached lately to consider giving college credit to students that
take physics at the local high schools. Is AP physics the same as a
year of college physics with trigonometry or calculus? Are you willing
to write and administer challenge tests to students who believe they
know the physics already based on their high school experience? If so,
what is the criterion for evaluating their level of mastery? Do they
get grades or pass no pass?
Curious in Coos Bay,
Randall E. Sloper