Re: Image Enhancement

I highly agree with Ludwik. We have video capture capabilities on the
new computers at our school, however, no one really knows how to use
it. It would be great if there was a workshop on this .

Shawn

--- Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
It would be great if you, or Tim Wilson who provided
the URL,
could offer the whole day workshop on this, for
example, at the
next AAPT winter meeting. Especially making movies
and
capturing frames. I would certainly sign for it.
Ludwik Kowalski

David Kulp wrote:

I found NIH Image (free from the NIH web site) to
be superb for image
enhancement. It's available for Mac and Wintel
platforms. In addition to
the great documentation which comes with the
download, there is also a
listserv which has quite a bit of traffic, and
plenty of people who
try to help.

In my previous job, I used Image to teach a lab on
projectile motion.
Students would toss a ball in front of a wall
painted with coordinate axes
which had been marked in half-meter increments.
The students could then
use Image to determine range and height data.
Time data was available
from the frame rate of the video capture. For my
M.S., I used Image to
find the edge of a fluid-air interface, then
determined fractal scaling
laws from the height/width/time data. One more
thing, Image is fully
scriptable and comes with a bunch of plug-ins
already installed. If you
need one that doesn't come as a default, search
the web. Image has been
around long enough that someone has probably
written the routine you need.

Before you buy any programs, I'd recommend
checking this out for free.

David Kulp Thinking
Different since 1984.
david@nuclear.physics.gatech.edu