Re: Radioactive Boy Scout

Greetings,

Dan Burns wrote on thursday:

There was an incident where a
high school student collected defective detectors by the dozen and =
removed and
concentrated the Americium. He did the same thing with lantern mant=
les and Thorium
and tried to make a reactor. This resulted in quite a radioactive c=
leanup problem.
I would avoid doing this in high school for this reason.

The article he mentions is from Harper's Magazine and was published a=
gain in the March issue of Reader's Digest, as "Tale of the Radioacti=
ve Boy Scout."

It's worth the read.

Stu Leinoff
ACC

But is it more than just an urban legend?

Hugh

Hugh Haskell

<mailto://haskell@odie.ncssm.edu>
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.