Re: taking apart smoke detectors

Another concern with removing material from smoke detectors and using it in class
is that students will then learn this is possible. There was an incident where a
high school student collected defective detectors by the dozen and removed and
concentrated the Americium. He did the same thing with lantern mantles and Thorium
and tried to make a reactor. This resulted in quite a radioactive cleanup problem.
I would avoid doing this in high school for this reason.

Dan Burns
Los Gatos High School

Tim Sullivan x5830 wrote:

I removed the alpha source from a smoke detector. The source itself is on a
gold colored metal foil attached to a sheet metal bracket that turned out to be
handy for handling. It was useful as an energy calibration point in an alpha
spectrometer.

I am not an expert, but as I understand it the material is firmly attached to
the foil and does not come off easily. However, I would still avoid touching
the foil and teach students to treat it with some respect.

Tim Sullivan
sullivan@kenyon.edu