Re: taking apart smoke detectors

At 15:08 21/04/99 -0500, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
.... How do you reliably assure parents that their kids are not
getting more radiation than allowed? Like I mentioned earlier,
all you need is one parent with a little bit of misunderstood
or misinterpreted information to cause a major pain in the ass. ...

You can avoid this by using radioactivity (Rn and its daughters
from air) collected from the screen of a common TV or computer
screen. Details were discussed here about two years ago. The name
of the thread was "radioactivity from air" or something like this.

It's the daughters with half-life round 30 minutes, rather than the radon
itself, which is presumably not ionised having taken a long time to diffuse
out of the earth into your lab. And it's a mix of beta emitters. I now use
the measurement of the decay as a regular feature in our lab program. I
find that the stuff seems strongly associated with dust, whether from a
dusty monitor screen or a dusty carpet.

But looking at the nature of the concerns expressed, I wonder if it makes
any difference whether one uses a natural source or not. Wouldn't you be
just as likely to get sued?

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic