Re: Unit Scaling Prefixes: (was Birthday Wish)

Some people have privately pointed out that in an earlier e-mail I
referred to Greek letter omicron when I meant to say Greek letter mu.
That's correct. Sorry for the confusion.

This posting concerns the recent dialogue about PostScript, PCL, etc.

Assuming that we want to get symbols on the printed page, I still
maintain that the word processing companies have done a wonderful job
of dealing with this, and we users don't have to worry about PCL,
PostScript, Windows, Apples, etc.

First let's assume we always keep the file in one format, for example
always in Microsoft Word. If we use the proper sequence (either
keyboard remapping or Insert-Symbol) to tell Word to insert Greek
letter mu, then mu will be printed properly on any printer capable of
printing mu, assuming Microsoft did as good of a job as it appears they
did.

The Windows version of Word and the Mac version of Word ought to both
work fine with this file. Of course, under Windows (and PC's) there is
an extremely wide range of computer vendors and printer vendors and
printer types. A printer can indeed be PostScript or PCL or some other
interface. But that's what Windows and Windows printer drivers are
supposed to take care of, so we don't have to. If we properly told
Word to print a mu, then by golly that's what it's going to attempt to
do no matter whether it's connected to an HP LaserJet, Inkjet, Epson,
PCL, PostScript, XYZ, whatever.

Other good word processing programs attempt the same thing. I use both
Word and WordPerfect under Windows, and I know they work just fine.

What it we don't keep the file in Word format? That might be okay also
as long as the programs we are switching between understand each other.
I can write a document in WordPerfect using all types of symbols, and
I can transmit it to a person who has Word, and they can usually print
it flawlessly. All this requires is that Word and Windows both
understand how each encodes Greek letter mu, or whatever. I find the
conversion routines work reasonably well. Typically, I don't even have
to tell it to do so. The Word program, when directed to read a
WordPerfect file, recognizes it and converts it as it reads it. This
is fantastic... and that's why I think the word processing people have
done a pretty good job.

The problem arises when someone uses a less well known word processor,
or an old version, or encodes symbols using older
printer/computer/program specific coding, then they want to transmit
this to another person or machine. I acknowledge that this has
problems. And I acknowledge that some of you don't have much choice in
this. I am aware of some high-school science teachers still doing word
processing on Apple IIe computers. There is not much I can say to help
these people other than to say that word processing is way, way beyond
those days.

E-mail also continues to be a problem because e-mail protocol has not
matured as much as word processors and printers. I am currently
writing this e-mail using Word. In the angle brackets I am inserting
Greek letter mu < ( >. Some of you will get that properly and some of
you won't. I hope it won't be long before e-mail rises to the level of
word processing and we can send each other equations and symbols
directly as mail messages. As is, if I want all of you to get that mu,
I have to send the document as a Word attachment and hope you all have
Word or at least a word processing program that can read Word files.
But I'm sure the day is coming that I won't have to worry about
that... and I currently do not worry about symbols in my regular word
processing. I just use them and they come out fine on every
computer/printer we have here... and we have lots... including both
Windows and Macs.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817