Accounting of teaching hours

I am currently serving as an external reviewer for a physics program. Not surprisingly, the major concern of the faulty
was heavy teaching loads. In considering the question, it became clear to me that the experimental sciences are getting
the short end of the stick in current accounting procedures for teaching hours. Even more disturbing is that
traditional lecture is weighted more heavily than other activities like laboratory time and undergraduate research,
which current studies indicate may be more beneficial from a learning standpoint.

Is anyone aware of some alternative accounting procedures which have been implemented? Please be as specific as
possible.

Also, can anyone give key references to support the position that traditional lecture may not be as conducive to
student learning as other models like undergraduate research?

Tim Usher
Physics
CSUSB