Re: Jumping Ring Demo

All this ring toss had a student ask what would happen if another ring was brought near the "suspended" ring. I would have predicted the second ring would push the first ring down... but nope it attracts the suspended ring. Right hand rule supports this I suppose.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Britton [SMTP:britton@ODIE.NCSSM.EDU]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 1999 6:58 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Jumping Ring Demo

Suppose the coil were oriented with a horizontal axis, and the ring were
placed around the center of the coil. When AC current is applied to the
coil, which way would the ring jump, left or right?

I beleive that the ring would not jump, but each half of it would TRY to
'jump' in the appropriate direction because of the induced currents.

Some colleges and universities have an aluminum can 'crusher'/'ripper' demo
that puts an aluminum can inside a HIGH current loop and has a big
capicitor discharge a humongous current thru th eloop. The poor can is
ripped apart by its induced currents!

This is a single dc pulse of current but I think there are some correct
similarities to your gedanken experiment.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936

<<application/ms-tnef>>