Computer controlled telescopes/software

There was some discussion recently about telescopes for use for student
viewing sessions for an intro astronomy class. I had just joined the list
so I missied most of that discussion. I hope someone can answer a couple
of questions about such telescopes:
Given about $2500 - $3000 to spend,
1. what's the best computer controlled telescope in the 8 - 10
inch range for quick setup and deployment?
2. what's the best external software to control such a telescope with?

The setups would have to be done in open fields or areas outside away
from buildings and easily accesible power.

If this was thouroughly discussed previously,perhaps someone could
summarize the results to me privately if necessary.
James Mackey