Re: Suggestions for new astronomy course

Amazing - I just signed on to the list this morning and the first post had
some answers to question I was searching (We will be starting a similar
course next fall). The first thing I did was subscribe to Sky & Telescope
magazine. Rex, (or others) if you have other information on learning
constellations or Messier objects I'd welcome them.

My main question - we have some funds to buy telescopes. My plan is to get
two (for a class of 30 students) Dobsonian mount telescopes. I don't think
I could effectively handle more than 2 telescopes at once and I think that
for class observations that the Dobsonian mounts are the most cost
effective. Any suggestions on the size, eyepieces, other accessories, or do
you think that the Dobsonian mounts would be ineffective?

Rex Snyder wrote:

David Strasburger wrote:

Next spring I will be teaching a half-year course in introductory
astronomy to high school juniors and seniors. ....(snip).......
I am working on a proposal for some development money from my school
(natch) and looking for suggestions.

(snip)
I have found that the more hands-on your Astronomy course is, the more
your students will enjoy it. Regular observation nights are a must.
Keep in mind
that you can do quite a bit of Astronomy with either your eyes or a good
pair of binoculars! For instance, your students will find it fun
learning Rey's
constellations and star names and then going and seeing them in the
night sky. Or they will find it challenging, but doable and fun,
locating all of the Messier
objects with a pair of 7 x 50 binoculars. This is a great exercise and
doesn't involve much money or supervision! You can also do a lot of
activities with an
SLR camera, a shutter cable and a tripod. I am a strong proponent that
introductory courses should teach students how to do Astronomy, rather
than just
discuss the standard set of topics in a standard Astronomy text.

(snip)

Rex

--
Rex G Snyder rgsnyder@macol.net