Re: Suggestions for new astronomy class

2. Attend the meeting of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific in Toronto in
early July. They will have lots of meetings and activities designed
specifically for K-12 teachers.

2) activity/resource suggestions -- I'd love to hear suggestions also on
other resources for teachers that people have found useful. I want
something that is probably impossible: a relatively hands-on
activity-oriented class with a minimum of nighttime work (I live over 1/2
hr from my schol) . I want to do some direct observing, but I am also
thinking about simulations, in-class spectroscopy experiments, analysis of
astronomical data available on the web....

Definitely check out the ASP Universe at Your Fingertips; ASP will be
teaching classes centered on this resource. I wrote a review of it
online at: http://www.psrc-online.org/Curriculum/ms_su.html#10

Buy the book at: http://www.aspsky.org/

We teach Intro Astronomy here at NAU, bind on an additional hour based upon
this text and package the whole thing as teaching astronomy for teachers
for grad credit. It's a wonderful resource.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner