Re: Sources of Colored Chalk

Try sidewalk chalk from Toys R Us. It is much lighter in pigment and is
generally eraseable. It comes in much larger sticks, which may take some
getting used to, but it does not break in your hand while you are writing.
I have hidden *every box* of Crayola brand colored chalk, and all colored
chalk from art supplies (for pastels). They are too full of binders and
oils to be erased.

*However*, note that the manufacturers of chalkboards recommend against the
use of colored chalk *entirely* as the binders which are used to hold the
talk plus color make it virtually impossible to erase. If you are
contemplating wiping your blackboards with water, that is also unacceptable
since it merely smears the binders across the entire surface of the
chalkboard, causing a uniform glare which makes writing difficult for
students to read. If you doubt this, go sit where the students sit and
look at the chalkboard! You *can* do a "scheduled" blackboard cleaning
using a mild detergent that will lift the binder, but that should be a
limited activity, as it also, eventually, wears down ths surface. Sorry,
for the bad news. Our faculty did not like to hear the truth, either....

PS: If you want to refinish the chalkboards, you should remove the boards
from the room or shut the building down, as the paint is highly toxic
(carcenogenic). Karl

The current discussion over the merits of whiteboards vs.
chalkboards reminded me that I wanted to ask the list for good sources of
colored chalk. Our current supply, which was bought many years ago, is
nearly exhausted and I have yet to find a completely satisfactory brand
which works well. For example, Crayola colored chalk comes in colors which
do not show up very well and most of the good colors are difficult to
erase. I've checked the major office superstores (e.g., Staples,
OfficeMax) and find their stock very sparse. I'd appreciate it if someone
could direct me to a good source of color chalk that works well in the
classroom. If no one makes decent colored chalk anymore, this may be a
reason to switch to whiteboards.

Thanks!

Dennis

* Dennis Krause mailto:kraused@wabash.edu *
* Department of Physics Phone: (765) 361-6181 *
* Wabash College Fax: (765) 361-6149 *
* Crawfordsville, IN 47933 *
* http://www.wabash.edu/depart/physics/krause.htm *

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081